Monday, February 15, 2016

Snowstorms and Other Surprising Reasons You Need Sunglasses


It looks like we are getting another round of lake-effect snow here in Warren tonight.  As you brave the roads on the way to work tomorrow, forgetting your sunwear may be more than an inconvenience.  
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhHjoez-AgNT7mWt3yx6qg3d9IDdi3tm32khqraeS-6QyzO_ipcOo5nE_GhtnjtlYOQ_MmCbh1r0oEiZXPsIGQ7CfNX6WxIfuVuTqsQDmUY0OF_suBsk5_Ae093L1fvbpJCJneYM4kGzuk/s320/Snow.jpg

Fun in the Sun
I don't know about you, but when it's this cold, I mostly just want to stay inside and watch Netflix.  I'll come outside to shovel and check the mail, but that's about all you'll catch me doing.  I live a mile from the office, so my commute's pretty short too.  Even with that minimal exposure to the sun in the winter, you will always see me wearing my sunglasses outside, even more than in the summer!  


Sunglasses in the Winter?
Many people think of sunglasses as a fashion item.   They're not wrong, but that's not the only reason I wear mine when I'm shoveling snow, no matter how cool I think I look.   Although the sun’s rays (and UV output) may be diminished in the winter, they’re magnified by snow and ice.  This effect can be uncomfortable, and can even compromise your vision.  Here are several things that magnify the sun’s effects.  Don’t forget your sunglasses if you encounter any of them:
-          Snow
-          Ice
-          Sand
-          Water
-          Pavement


How to Help Your Eyes
Many of you, especially if you get your lenses at our office, already have UV protection built into your glasses.  That is a fantastic feature that I recommend on every pair that leaves this office.  That being said, clear lenses don't help block the harshness of the light.  For that, I recommend the following:

Transitions –  These are very convenient.  They are the lenses that let your clear glasses darken and become almost like sunglasses when outdoors. You can even get them polarized these days (
Transitions Vantage). I still recommend dedicated sunwear for my patients, but Transitions lenses are a great way to customize your clear pair.

Blutech Outdoor – for blocking UV rays plus 
high energy blue light.  Both types of sunlight can be damaging to the eyes, but many lenses only protect against UV light.  And while you’re at it, invest in a pair of Blutech Indoor lenses for your computer and other devices, another major source of high energy blue light.

Sunglasses can be a great addition to your personal style, but don't forget about the many health benefits of wearing them - protection from harmful light and harsh glare! 

Check out our last blog post (1/19/16) for more details on the health effects UV rays can have on our eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment